Four weeks on, ANC protesters won’t give in

2011-07-04 00:00

NONE of the local ANC protesters has been arrested for occupying the party’s regional executive offices in Jabu Ndlovu Street, despite a high court order issued on Friday that they must leave the premises.

The protest, which has now lasted for four weeks, continued on Saturday and yesterday with the protesters saying they will continue and do not fear arrest. Yesterday the protesters came out in numbers to gather at the offices in Jabu Ndlovu Street. Some arrived by bus.

This happened while ANC heavyweights and NEC members Jessie Duarte and Max Sisulu were meeting with leaders of various branches at the city hall at about 11 am, to find a strategy to build on the party’s success in the recent election and initiate discussions about reconciliation among members in the region. It is believed that similar meetings with NEC members were held in the different regions throughout KZN yesterday.

Spokesperson for the protesters Sbongile Mkhize said the protesters were barred from the meeting held at the city hall by certain REC members.

“We were not part of that meeting because certain people were standing at the entrance and prevented us from going in. They only allowed their own people into the meeting.

“We were also disappointed that when the NEC members were here they did not bother to come to the ANC office to meet us despite knowing our problems,” said Mkhize.

Mkhize said she heard that the PEC has withdrawn the court interdict and this was why they were not arrested.

“By going to court, they were contravening the resolution that was taken by the National General Council in Durban last year, which stated that ANC members cannot take party members to court, and that organisational issues should be resolved internally,” said Mkhize.

She added that the protesters remain committed to their demand for the REC to be dissolved and “corrupt members” be removed from key council positions.

When asked why protesters were not arrested for defying the court order, ANC provincial secretary Sihle Zikalala said the party decided against using police to deal with a matter that should be resolved internally.

Zikalala said it was not true that the protesters were not allowed into the meeting.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.