Friends and foes welcome Shelembe move

2011-06-22 00:00

MSUNDUZI Deputy Mayor Alpha Shelembe, who announced yesterday that he is stepping down, will be replaced during the full sitting of the Pietermaritzburg council on Thursday next week.

Sibusiso Sithole said that since Shelembe is a proportional representation councillor, the ANC will have to amend its list and the next person on that list will be sworn in as a councillor.

Sithole is the provincial administrator appointed by the KZN Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC to oversee the running of the Msunduzi Municipality.

At the next council sitting Shelembe’s party will nominate its candidate for the position and normal voting will take place, Sithole said.

Almost all ANC alliance organisations and political parties represented in the Msunduzi Municipality welcomed Shelembe’s resignation yesterday.

Dumisani Mthalane, national spokesperson for the South African National Civics Organisation (Sanco), which recently joined the call for the disbanding of the ANC regional executive, said Sanco welcomes Shelembe’s move. But, he said, there is still more to be done to force out other members of the regional executive committee (REC) occupying positions in executive committees in various uMgungundlovu municipalities.

“REC members failed to provide leadership, which led to the collapse of Msunduzi Municipality through their interference. The ANC must take them all out as it is clear they deployed themselves to these Exco positions,” Mthalane said.

The Democratic Alliance caucus leader in the municipality, Bill Lambert, welcomed the news, recalling the serious allegations made about Shelembe and his office when he served as the speaker.

“This whole municipality was consumed by infighting and uncertainty. Service delivery was on the backburner and our citizens’ rights … were severely compromised. We can now start to move forward,” Lambert said.

Former Msunduzi deputy mayor Mervyn Dirks, who had been vocal about the REC’s interference in the running of Msunduzi, blamed ANC provincial leader Zweli Mkhize for the “political blunder” of deploying Shelembe.

“I am very pleased that eventually Shelembe saw the light and stepped down. However, it was not at his own will, but was due to pressure from the people of Pietermaritzburg …”

Zet Luzipo, KZN secretary of trade union federation Cosatu, also welcomed the news.

The Inkatha Freedom Party leader in the Msunduzi Municipality, Dolo Zondi, said Shelembe’s exit will help bring back confidence to the capital.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.