Go to the polls to make a difference

2009-01-24 00:00

The inauguration of Barack Obama, the 44th president and first black president of the United States of America, will no doubt be the biggest news item for a long time.

I cannot recall the last time so many people were in the same place for an event or when so much security was in the same area, if, indeed, it has ever happened. What struck me more than the historical significance of the event, was how the Democrats and the Republicans were able to put all their fundamental differences aside and embrace Obama.

A total of 53% of Americans voted for Obama, while the other 47% voted for Republican John McCain, yet they have realised that their problems are shared and they require a common attitude and approach.

This was further illustrated by Obama’s speeches. He did not point a finger at his predecessor, George W. Bush, but provided solutions instead, such as pulling out of Iraq and shutting down the Guantanamo Bay prison.

When I looked at this reality, I could not help but think of South Africa and how self-ordained South Africans have turned their backs on the country and shirked their responsibilities.

True citizens of the country, should find and provide solutions to the country’s challenges and taking the next Qantas flight to Australia is not the way to do it. Go to the polls to make a difference.

People make a difference in a country, not the elected government. If this were false, politicians would have solved the situation in Zimbabwe by now. It’s just that too often people underestimate their power and influence.

Americans have been putting up with the Bush family for a second eight-year term within a quarter of a century and this is enough for a lifetime.

They wanted change and that is what they got, although the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

There has also been a lot of talk about whether or not South Africans in other parts of the world should be allowed to vote and I do not understand why this is even an issue. We all know Australia is South Africa’s 10th province, just like Hillbrow and Point Road (Mahatma Gandhi to be politically correct) are Nigerian suburbs.

I do not see why people who are not residing in this country and who are not at least affected by the day-to-day bread and butter issues we are facing should be allowed to vote. They cannot know what is good for us and can’t have a feel for what is going on on the ground here.

They must make peace with their decisions to turn their backs on this country. For those who may be away for business and want to vote, if voting is that important they must heed the call and come home to vote.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.