Grade 1 bullies beat classmate

2012-09-06 00:00

A GRADE 1 pupil who was beaten by his classmates is recovering in hospital, his grandmother said yesterday.

The 75-year-old woman from Newcastle said her grandson was assaulted by several pupils in his class two weeks ago.

“I’m told by another girl that one of the boys stood on top of the desk and then jumped over him wrestling style.”

The grandmother cannot be named to protect the seven-year-old pupil.

She told The Witness that her grandson came home from school one day and told her that boys from his class had hit him and that he no longer wanted to go to school.

“They kicked him in the lower abdomen. He was even too weak to walk and struggling to pass urine and was vomiting. When I asked him where the teacher was, he said, ‘Gogo, the teacher was not in class’.”

The grandmother said she had rubbed his body to soothe the pain.

“You couldn’t touch him because his body was sore and his voice was hoarse.”

He skipped school for days before they took him to hospital because he was not getting well.

The grandmother said this was not the first such incident. Her grandson had been beaten at school before and his lunchbox stolen.

“When he told me that the other kids were hitting him and didn’t want to go to school I used to think that he was just lazy and afraid of school.”

The grandmother said the boy doesn’t have a mother.

She said she was not considering bringing charges, but wanted to talk to the parents whose children were involved in the beating.

“These are kids; we just need to show them the way.”

She said she looked after another grandson, who is 10.

The Qedizaba Primary School principal, who declined to give her name, said she visited the pupil in hospital and she found him playing.

“He is doing alright.”

When asked how the incident had happened, she said: “You know how boys like playing rough and the other one kicked him.”

She would not go into details, but said the school had sent a report to the Department of Education and was awaiting a response.

Attempts to get the department to comment were fruitless.

Speaking at the launch of the pupil admission campaign on Tuesday, the MEC for Education, Senzo Mchunu, said violence in schools was a growing trend that had the government “worried”.

“In the first three months we lost no less than five children in school yards through stabbing … by another child.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.