KZN branch calls for boycott of ANCYL’s ‘youth mass action’

2011-10-17 00:00

A BRANCH of the ANC Youth League in KwaZulu-Natal threatened to push for a boycott of the ANCYL’s planned “youth mass action for economic freedom” at the weekend.

Calling for the boycott, the branch leader declared that that marching on Union Buildings in Pretoria, which is part of the campaign, would be “tantamount to attempting to overthrow an ANC government”.

On October 27 and 28 the ANCYL plans to hold a protest march to the Union Buildings to demand jobs, another march against the National Chamber of Mines to demand the nationalisation of mines and yet another one against the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.

Last week the ANCYL’s youth mass action campaign, which also calls for the banning of labour brokers, received surprise support from trade union federation Cosatu.

Directing his speech to President Jacob Zuma at the funeral of Zuma’s bodyguard, Captain Patrick “Sho” Maphumulo in Umbumbulu, south of Durban, on Saturday, ANCYL Umbumbulu branch secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo said his branch will not participate in the mass action and it will mobilise other ANCYL branches in KZN to boycott the campaign.

It is not the first time that the ANCYL campaign has received a snub from the KZN ANCYL. Recently ousted ANCYL provincial deputy secretary Sboniso Duma said there was no need to march against the ANC government because it it doing all it can to address the concerns of the youth in the country.

“President Zuma, we would like to inform you that as ward 96 branch [Umbumbulu], we did not form part of a march to Luthuli House [to protest against the disciplinary hearing of ANCYL president Julius Malema and other leaders], and we will not march to the Union Buildings. When we discussed in our branch we felt that marching to the Union Buildings was tantamount to overthrowing the state, which is led by us …

“We are not your protectors only by word of mouth, but through deeds as well. An attack on the head of the ANC is meant to demoblise the ANC. As the ANCYL it is our responsibility to protect the ANC, and we will,” Sabelo said to rapturous applause from the mourners.

Sabelo told the mourners he would not engage in the sensitive succession debate, pointing out that the decision to support Zuma’s second term as ANC president was among the resolutions reached before the conclusion of last year’s ANCYL provincial congress held at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.

• skhumbuzo.miya@witness.co.za

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.