Land: 15-year battle over for Howick groups

2013-01-21 00:00

AFTER waiting for more than 15 years, two Howick communities have finally got their title deeds, while 113 Shafton beneficiaries received R2 513 900 to share among themselves.

The title deeds were handed over by the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform on Saturday. The communities, represented by Linwood and Madlala trusts, spent more than 15 years fighting for their land.

Linwood Trust chairperson Muziwanele Ngubane said it was sad that some of the claimants were not there to celebrate with them.

“We are interested in becoming producers and we want to be part of the KwaZulu-Natal economic development. Even though it took us so long to get what belongs to us, we are grateful to all who were involved in making it a success. I am the third chairperson of this trust. Those before me died.

“We plan to work very closely with Mondi in the next 20 years so that they can transfer all the necessary farming skills to us,” said Ngubane. The paper manufacturing and forestry company has agreed to rent the land from the trusts. Mondi representative Morris Makhathini promised the company would support the land claimants in acquiring farm management skills.

Mandlakayise Sibiya of the Shafton community said it had not been easy to recover land that had belonged to their fathers.

“We claimed in 1995 and the department changed staff members, which made things difficult for us.” The Shafton community said they opted for the cash as they had become used to life in town.

uMngeni Mayor Mbali Myeni said more than 266 households on 10 farms had been connected to the electricity at a cost of R4,6 million. “The days of preparing wood fires resulting to unnecessary house fires are over. The municipality is also assisting these communities by partially paying for a certain amount of their electricity as they get some free electricity. We are happy that even farmers allowed this to happen in their farms,” said Myeni.

Rural Development and Land Reform Deputy Minister Lechesa Tsenoli said the government had paid more than R60 million to acquire the farms and facilitating the land claims.

MEC Ina Cronjé said she had intervened in the process, which had been causing a lot of resentment and hardship among farm dwellers.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.