Landowner ordered to unlock gates for pupils

2013-09-19 00:00

CHILDREN at Oakford Primary and Sacred Heart High in Verulam will again be able to walk freely through the gates that give them access to their schools, after a preliminary order by the Durban high court yesterday.

Delivering his ruling, Judge Anton van Zyl made it clear that the interest of the pupils was paramount and ordered landowner Professor Marius Maritz to unlock the gates.

However, he added that the order does not mean that the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education is exempted from paying for the use of the access road, as per agreement with the land owner.

The department and Maritz, who owns the land on which the schools are situated, had been locked in a long battle for years over the entrance to the schools.

Maritz was not at court yesterday, but was represented by advocate Vinay Gajoo.

Classes at the school were on various occasions disrupted when Maritz locked the main entrance, gate one, forcing pupils and teachers to use another entrance a further two kilometres away.

Gajoo said his client had communicated with the department that gate one would be closed due to an environmental impact assessment by the Department of Water Affairs and that he had constructed another road for pupils to use.

Maritz bought the land from the Dominican Association of South Africa, at the time that the Department of Water Affairs was upgrading Hazelmere Dam situated along the border of Maritz’s property.

It was also heard that the department owed Maritz money.

According to Gajoo, his client and the department agreed that they will pay for using the road.

The department’s affidavit, presented by Mike Govindasamy SC, stated that the department had to incur substantial costs for transporting pupils to the other gate — R600 000 for the past five months.

The parties are due back in court on October 25. But that did not stop parents from rejoicing.

Chairperson of the school governing body Peggy Maphumulo said she was very happy that the gates will be opened after the four-year battle with the landowner. She said children have been affected by the ordeal.

Department spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi welcomed the order.

“The winners here are the pupils, because the fight was about making sure that children have access to education, which is their right.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.