McCord deal: Nehawu to meet with Health MEC

2013-09-30 00:00

THE KwaZulu-Natal National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) will be meeting with provincial Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo tomorrow.

The purpose of the meeting, according to Nehawu spokesperson Zola Saphetha, is to seek details of the in-principle agreement between the department and Durban’s McCord Hospital board on the government’s total takeover of the 104-year-old establishment.

The agreement was reportedly signed last week.

Saphetha said Nehawu only heard about the agreement in news reports.

“We support the 100% government takeover of the hospital. We now need to get details of the terms of the agreement reached by the parties concerned. We hope that in our meeting the MEC will take us through the terms of this agreement.”

He said if the “package” accommodated issues such as securing the employees’ jobs, then all was fine.

“However, if we find that there are areas where we don’t feel that the deal is suitable for our members, then we are going ahead with our court action,” he said.

When the news recently broke that McCord’s board had decided to close down the facility, the union last week applied for an emergency interdict to stop the move. A labour court interim interdict on behalf of Nehawu prevented the board from retrenching staff.

“In October 9, we are going to court. But if the terms of agreement into the takeover is for the best of all concerned, then we won’t go ahead with the court proceedings. But if it is not, then we will consult with our lawyer for advice on the way forward,” said Saphetha.

In a joint statement on Friday, the department and the hospital board said joint technical and legal teams, with representatives from government and McCord Hospital, were established last week to work on the technical and legal details relating to the finalisation of the takeover process and the transfer of staff to the department.

The teams were appointed and commenced with their work on September 25.

Some of the terms of agreement were that an independent valuer agreeable to both parties would be appointed to value the hospital complex, so as to facilitate the 100% takeover.

Both the provincial government and the hospital board will work towards ensuring an outcome that will be in the best interest of all concerned.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.