Mettler to stay three more months

2010-09-21 00:00

IT seems the Msunduzi Municipality will be under administration for a little longer than expected.

It has been confirmed that Msunduzi administrator Johann Mettler, who took over in March and was initially expected to run the city’s affairs for six months, has had his contract renewed for three months.

The Witness is in possession of a general notice sent to Msunduzi staffers on Friday informing them that Mettler’s stay has been extended.

Dated September 17, the notice signed by Mettler states: “My tenure as administrator has been extended until end December 2010. As a result, the [provincial intervention team] will do everything in its power to expedite a number of processes so that there will be a measure of stability within the municipality when this extension expires.”

Mettler referred The Witness to the relevant government department for comment.

Provincial Co-operative Governance spokesperson Lennox Mabaso confirmed the new contract, saying his department had planned to “make a formal announcement … [but] now that it’s out in the open there’s no need”.

Mabaso said that although the municipality is recovering, the MEC had assessed the situation and decided that the administration should continue.

“We’re out of the ICU, but there’s a need for continuity with regard to progress made. We renewed the contract because we still want more progress.”

Inkatha Freedom Party caucus leader Dolo Zondi welcomed the renewal, but questioned why it had been left until the last minute. “Seemingly to me it looks as if there were different views from different quarters of the ANC on whether it should be renewed.”

The Witness understands that last Thursday, a scheduled meeting of the executive committee was cancelled at the eleventh hour as Mettler was asked to negotiate the terms of his contract with the province.

The general notice was sent out the next day.

Democratic Alliance caucus leader Bill Lambert said: “He’s doing a wonderful job … We want him to stay as long as he can to rectify the dreadful mess that the ANC has left us in.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.