‘Monster’s’ wife joins husband in the dock

2014-06-24 00:00

THE wife of the so-called Springs Monster was yesterday arrested on a charge of obstructing justice.

She will now be on trial with her husband on charges of child abuse, attempted murder and assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

She face all these charges after yesterday unexpectedly refusing to testify against her husband in court. She also refused to sign a statement she had made earlier about the events at the house.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant- Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said the National Prosecuting Authority had ordered the investigating officer to arrest the 35-year-old woman after she no longer wanted to co-operate with the police.

Dlamini confirmed the woman was held at the Springs charge office last night. She will appear in the Springs Magistrate’s Court today, Dlamini said.

The woman had been living with her older sister in Brakpan on the East Rand since police rescued her and their children from the house where they had been allegedly held and tortured by their father for 16 years.

From what has been learned, the older sister was “very strict” and the woman yesterday took her clothes and moved to her in-laws, also in Springs.

Police said they found and arrested her there. “She had given her co-operation throughout with the police.

“She had made affidavits and was ready to testify in court against her husband about the torture and assault. But she has suddenly changed her plan and now refused to give any further co-operation,” said a source close to the investigation.

Her 36-year-old husband was arrested about a month ago after his 11-year-old son managed to escape from the so-called House of Horrors for the first time in his young life and pleaded with the neighbours for help as he believed his father would make good on threats to kill him.

The neighbours called the police and the father. The police visited the family’s two-storey house the next day, after the son had been beaten, stomped on and all but drowned.

They could not find the boy, whose bleeding body had been stuffed into the ceiling of an outside room. The father told the police he had run away and reported him as missing.

The father took the boy from the ceiling after a day and left him with family in Warden while the community searched for him in Springs.

The father will appear in the Springs Magistrate’s Court on July 25.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.