More rain, less cricket in Durban

2013-03-02 00:00

INSTEAD of the anticipated “stadium full” signs going up at Kingsmead last night, the electronic scoreboard told the sad tale of the match being abandoned due to rain, bringing an end to the first T20 against South Africa and Pakistan.

Yet again, Friday night brought more rain to Durban, this time curtailing an evening’s entertainment planned for a packed house as tickets were gobbled up for the match.

The only consolation for the die-hard spectators who had braved the weather, was getting a refund on their tickets.

There was no chance of any play, with pools of water littering the Kingsmead outfield.

Proteas T20 coach Russell Domingo, keeping his sense of humour, said at a “post-match” press conference: “We are playing well.”

He went on to say: “It’s disappointing we never got on the park, but we have had an enjoyable and constructive week.

“We have an exciting group of players and are currently revising the culture and way of playing.

“We want to develop an identity and in this regard, we have made progress and have the foundations in place ahead of next year’s T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.”

Domingo said the T20 team is keen to emulate the Test side and would pick the right players to play on the sub-continent next year.

“We also need to win games on home soil, so there will be selection and strategy changes, plus mistakes made. Our primary objective though is to look ahead to the World Cup and some players may need to change their mindset …”

Asked whether big names such as Hashim Amla, Dale Steyn and Jacques Kallis would be considered for the World Cup, Domingo said there were players at domestic level who would, and could still be considered for selection, mentioning Colin Ingram and Wayne Parnell.

In an ironic twist, as the match was abandoned, the weather seemed to clear, but by then, the damage had been done.

Fans headed home while players and media packed their bags, heading for Centurion, where the second T20 match is played tomorrow, at SuperSport Park, at 2.30 pm.

Domingo confirmed that Quinton De Kock, Aaron Phangiso and Ryan McLaren would be released from the squad today to represent their franchises in the Ram Slam T20 Challenge match between the Lions and Knights at the Wanderers.

Cricket SA said patrons who had purchased tickets for the T20 would be entitled to a full refund.

Enquiries to the KZN Cricket Union can be made on 031 335 4200.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.