Mr Magic’ vows to fight Ukhozi over ‘unfair’ dismissal

2014-02-06 00:00

FIRED Ukhozi FM presenter Linda “Mr Magic” Sibiya plans on fighting the SABC, claiming he was unfairly dismissed after almost two decades at the station.

His lawyer, Advocate Ronald Mbongeni Ntshangase, yesterday said his client was unfairly dismissed and they had asked the Communication Workers Union (CWU) to intervene.

Should this fail they would take the matter to the Labour Court, he said.

Sibiya was dismissed for allegedly accepting funds meant for a gala dinner for Ukhozi FM — this money was allegedly used by his events company for another function.

His advisor, ANC MPL Pastor Vusi Dube, said in June last year Sibiya arranged a gala dinner for Ukhozi FM.

“He sold the idea to the management but they were not interested. By that time a certain company had funds available for the event. Sibiya then used the funds to buy school uniforms and shoes for the children of Eshowe.”

Dube said Sibiya helped renovate a church in the area and bought food parcels for the needy in the area.

“If there was anything wrong with that, the company which made the funds available would have laid official charges against him [Sibiya],” said Dube.

By yesterday afternoon Sibiya could not be contacted as he was resting, said Dube.

Thami Mzileni, the CWU’s provincial secretary, said Sibiya had been dismissed from the station at the end of last month, having worked there for 18 years.

“If an employee has done wrong, you inform them and investigate. They [employees] must be represented and once the investigation is done then the employer informs the employee of the outcome. It is then that the employee has to, through a representative if they wish so, respond to the allegations.”

Mzileni said in Sibiya’s case, he was given a letter instructing him to give reasons why he should not be fired and the next day was dismissed.

“It doesn’t work like that. We will fight this to the bitter end, and the management must explain the manner in which they dismissed him,” said Mzileni.

Advocate Ntshangase said he was giving the union space to handle the matter. “If all fails we will definitely go the legal route,” said Ntshangase.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago had confirmed that Sibiya’s contract was terminated on Thursday.

“We can’t divulge the reasons but he knows why. We’ve had issues with him.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.