Municipal takeover imminent

2013-01-28 00:00

AN administrator will soon be heading to the Imbabazane Municipality, near Estcourt, after the provincial government formally announced a takeover on Friday.

The official, yet to be named, will remain at the municipality until there is political stability and service delivery, Co-operative Governance Department spokesperson Lennox Mabaso said yesterday.

“That person will have the overwhelming responsibility to ensure the municipality functions properly and also to supervise staff, departments and operations of the municipality.”

Mabaso made the comments after MEC Nomusa Dube visited the council on Friday to announce it was being put under administration. She did not give the administrator’s name.

The municipality is the third in the province to be placed under administration following Indaka and Mtubatuba.

Dube’s action followed a request by the ANC for the provincial government to intervene, a decision it took last Monday without consulting the National Freedom Party, its alliance partner in the council.

The municipality was plunged into political turmoil in June last year when NFP and Inkatha Freedom Party councillors passed a vote of no confidence against ANC mayor Phindile Strydom and speaker Mondli Mkhize.

Strydom and Mkhize have yet to be reinstated after the provincial government won a court order setting aside the meeting that had deposed the duo.

The department has vowed to oppose an appeal against the order. Dube said: “We will not allow power games to destabilise our municipalities. Councillors need to think and recite the oath of office they took every time they consider taking decisions.

“It is unfortunate that we find ourselves left with no option but to act decisively to protect the interest of the communities.”

Mabaso said the takeover would be independent of any legal processes and the administrator would be empowered to conduct investigations into the affairs of the municipality.

“We will leave the issues of court to the courts to decide, but there is a ruling that concurred with the department [that Strydom and Mkhize should be returned to their posts].”

Mabaso added there would be “consequences” for council decisions taken at the time when Strydom and Mkhize should have been reinstated.

The NFP could not be reached for comment yesterday, but it has threatened to complain about the alleged abuse of power by Dube to Public Protector Thuli Madonsela.

Mabaso said the party was within its rights to approach any competent authority over the intervention.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.