Player and King settle out of court

2013-09-25 00:00

GARY Player and the controversial businessman Dave King had settled out of court, after King earlier this year demanded R33,4 million from the South African golf legend.

Rael Gootkin, Player’s attorney, confirmed his client and King had reached an agreement.

Player, one of South Africa’s most illustrious sportsmen, said in June he would prove in court that he did not owe his former friend a cent of the money King had claimed.

King alleged that Player had never repaid a loan of $1 million (at the time about R6,1 million), 14 years ago and demanded the money plus interest.

King asked the Grahamstown High Court to confiscate shares in a stud farm outside Colesberg.

His court papers stated that one of his trusts, Talacar Holdings, has a 49% shareholding in the farm and that Player holds the remaining 51%.

The court granted an interim interdict to King.

Gootkin said he was not in a position to comment on the details of the settlement, which was subject to suspended conditions that had to be met by November 14, when the matter would be concluded.

Gootkin did not want to say if the agreement involved any payment to King.

In April Player had stated in an attorney’s letter that there was no loan agreement between him and King, but he conceded that he had received R6,1 million from King.

Player said King had in 1999 volunteered to settle Player’s debt of R6,1 million with IMG Sport Management.

King would, in exchange, get full access to Player, travel with him to major tournaments like the British Open and the Masters in Augusta and even be his caddy.

King said this was not true and stated they had concluded a loan agreement on 18 July 1999 when he caddied for Player in the British Open at Carnoustie in Scotland.

His court papers read that he had already caddied for Player at that stage and had carried his bag at a previous masters event. Player had told him in Scotland that he was struggling financially and asked King for a loan.

King and the South African Revenue Service last month reached an agreement for payment of R706,7 million after a protracted battle over unpaid taxes.

Charges of money laundering and tax evasion were dropped and King accepted liability for 41 lesser counts of breaching the South African Income Tax Act, which included failure to disclose information and provide accurate information regarding income earned over a number of years.

Deborah di Siena, King’s lawyer, said she would comment on the matter today.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.