Scenes of panic as fire destroys Mountain Rise house

2014-12-03 00:00

BLACK ash and grief-stricken tears were all that remained after a blaze engulfed the homes of two families, destroying everything they owned in an hour.

Clayton Govender and his wife, along with Ash Mungaldave and her family, all tenants in a Mountain Rise ­out-house, were left with nothing as scorching flames consumed all their belongings on Monday afternoon.

The fire was speculated to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring in the premises.

Four teenage boys, who were driving past at the time of the fire, bravely ran to assist. Nabeel Edris (17) said he and his friends ran into the flaming building to help with recovering items.

“We all ran in and pulled out whatever we could and we tried to put the fire out with a hosepipe,” Nabeel said.

Govender said he received a call from his wife who was at home at the time of the fire and when he got home “all hell was breaking loose”.

“I was just lost when I saw the fire,” Govender said.

Mungaldave, who lives with her son, daughter and cat, Tinkerbell, said that they no longer have a place to stay.

• amil.umraw@witness.co.za

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.