Scores left homeless after fire razes settlement

2012-08-22 00:00

ABOUT 45 shacks burnt down at the Mandalay informal settlement at Mandalay farm near Camperdown and scores of families were left homeless yesterday.

The Mandalay informal settlement residents watched helplessly as their shacks were engulfed in fire with their belongings inside as they could not remove them. By the time the firefighters got there, everything had been destroyed.

“The fire started at about 9 am when we were in my friends house,” said resident Nthabiseng Mokoena.

“The fire was quick to spread because of the material used to build the shacks. Most of them were built with wood and plastic.”

According to police, approximately 45 shacks burnt down.

Police said the fire was caused by a paraffin stove, but residents blamed a gas stove for the blaze.

Women with their children tied on their backs, who were standing near the burnt shacks, were shocked at what had happened to their homes. Some said they would move away from the settlement to live with their employers.

Mojalifa Hadebe, who lost his Toyota Hilux and his shack during the fire told The Witness he had lost everything.

“This is very difficult for my family. All we are left with is what we are wearing. My wife was at home but managed to come out of the shack alive. We are thankful that we are alive but with my salary of R3 500 I will struggle to re-build my family life,” he said.

According to Ntombenhle Masango, one of the bystanders whose house escaped the blaze, a gas stove caused the fire.

“Most of the shacks here use gas stoves, and I suspect that it was left unattended. We could not help remove furniture and groceries from the shacks because the fire was so fast in swallowing the shacks.” She had been a victim of a similar fire in November last year.

Children who were at school earlier in the day returned to find they no longer had a home.

Ward councillor Bongani Gwala said they are doing everything they could to try and find a place for them.

Xolani Muthwa, head of emergency services from Umgungundlovu District Municipality, said they are investigating what had happened.

Musa Ngcongo, the DA councillor, said two fire tenders and two fire vans were used to quell the flames. He said the informal settlement is situated in the middle of sugarcane fields, and without the fire trucks, the blaze would have spread rapidly.

Police spokesperson Captain Thulani Zwane said no one was injured in the blaze. Police have registered an inquiry docket and are investigating.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.