Search in dunes reveals two skeletons

2013-09-26 00:00

A KNIFE attack on holiday makers has led to the discovery of two skeletons in the dunes just north of the Richards Bay Caravan Park.

The remains were found on Tuesday morning during a search for the man responsible for the beach attack.

David Pretorius, who works for the caravan park’s security company, was trying to find the man who attacked two 16-year-old girls on the beach, when he unearthed the remains in the dunes.

The girls were robbed of their cellphones, towels and bags close to the entrance of the caravan park on Monday afternoon.

Their parents, who asked that the family not be identified, said the girls were on their way back to the campsite when the man approached them on the beach.

“My daughter tried to hide her cellphone, but the man demanded that she hand it over. He threw her on the ground and wrestled her phone away, stabbing her in the process, while the other girl stood by, helpless.

“When the two girls finally returned to the campsite, totally in shock, we notified the park owners, who called the police while we rushed the girls off to the doctors for treatment.”

On Tuesday morning, members of the campsite’s security company, Northern Region Protection Services, tried to find the attackers. “We think [the attacker] is living in the dunes and around the old Soetwater beach, so we took our pit-bull terrier and started searching,” said Pretorius.

He said that while searching, he climbed a high dune and started slipping in the sand, unearthing a skull. Once again the police were called out, and while they were trying to dig out the rest of the bones, another skull was found.

Richards Bay police spokesperson Captain Debbie Ferreira confirmed that the police had taken two skeletons to the mortuary for postmortems and DNA tests.

“An inquest docket has been opened and only once the postmortems have been done, will we know more.”

Ferreira also confirmed that a case of robbery with a weapon had been opened following the stabbing incident.

According to Pretorius, their search revealed “clear evidence” that at least four or five people are living in the dunes.

The campers have vowed not to return to Richards Bay.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.