Selebi allegations brought to Mbeki in May 2007

2008-01-15 00:00

Serious allegations of corruption and defeating the ends of justice against national Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi were brought to the attention of the presidency, in writing, in May last year, according to court affidavits.

In spite of this, the government and President Thabo Mbeki insisted at the weekend that Mbeki did not have any information that would justify legal action against Selebi.

A letter from Advocate Vusi Pikoli, the dismissed head of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), was attached to the statement by Selebi, which was handed in to the Pretoria High Court last week as part of his application to have his prosecution stopped.

Selebi’s answering affidavit stated that some of the allegations contained in the letter to Mbeki, were untrue.

The letter, dated May 7, 2007, was marked “top secret” and was directed at Mbeki as “a last resort”.

In the letter Pikoli informed the president that the Scorpions wanted to obtain a warrant to search Selebi’s home and office.

It was explained to Mbeki that the inquiry into Selebi was launched after the NPA received a complaint about the way the investigation into the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble was being handled.

Agliotti was a friend of Selebi who had admitted guilt earlier on drugs-related charges.

He (Agliotti) was also expected to give evidence against Selebi, it was stated in the letter. Pikoli warned Mbeki in the letter that Agliotti would admit that the relationship between himself and Selebi was “generally corrupt”.

Agliotti would also state that Selebi had protected him from inquiries by the South African and British governments.

Pikoli informed Mbeki that every possible effort to get the Scorpions and the police to co-operate on the investigation had failed and that they were therefore pressing for a search warrant.

The letter has raised questions around the government’s repeated position that Mbeki could not take any action against Selebi because he did not have enough evidence of alleged criminal actions by the police chief. At a media conference this past weekend the president reiterated this.

“I have said many times that if someone brings me documented evidence that the national commissioner has acted inappropriately, I will take action,” Mbeki said in Pretoria on Saturday.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.