Sex video assault: victim’s mum upset

2012-04-12 00:00

THE mother of a 13-year-old who was beaten up for allegedly filming a sex act between two boys, aged four and five, is upset about her son’s assault.

She questioned why he was singled out and others who had been at the scene did not suffer the same treatment.

“He used his cellphone to film them. That was the only sin he committed,” the woman told The Witness yesterday.

The alleged filming took place in the wreck of a mini-bus last week.

“My son told us that there were about seven children in that minibus,” the mother said.

“He was called by one of them to come and watch.”

Five people, aged between 15 and 48, have since been arrested for assaulting the 13-year-old.

Their case was expected to be before the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court yesterday but did not appear on the roll.

It remains under investigation.

The Weekend Witness reported that the boy was 16 years old but later it emerged that he is in fact only 13 years old.

The boy’s mother said her son was taken to hospital where he was treated for a swollen arm and head.

“He was not admitted to the hospital because they said they don’t have beds. But instead I was ordered to take care of him as I am a medical practitioner,” she explained.

“My son is traumatised by all this. He’s now sleeping with me. Since last week Tuesday he has woken up at night and stood on the bed as if he’s seeing something.

“I am planning to take him to a psychologist to get help,” she said.

The mother added that she would like to see the issue resolved and that police had confiscated her son’s cellphone.

“I haven’t seen this video they are taking about. It’s confusing to me because they say many things about this incident. I wonder why the other kids who were in the minibus were not assaulted.”

The ward councillor for thearea, Caiphas Ndawonde, said social workers would be sent to visit the homes of the boys who were allegedly abused.

The grandmother of one of them said police had not opened a case concerning the video footage.

“They told us that they’re still investigating.”

Police could not confirm whether or not the cellphone is in their possession.

• mlondi.radebe@witness.co.za

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.