Sharks deny talks of offer to Mallett

2013-06-11 00:00

SHARKS CEO Brian van Zyl and Graham MacKenzie, president of the KZN Rugby Union, yesterday both categorically denied that an offer had been made to Nick Mallett to take over as head coach at King’s Park.

Mallett said at the weekend that he had been approached by the Sharks to take over from current Sharks coach John Plumtree. The former Springbok coach said he had turned down the offer.

Van Zyl told The Witness yesterday he “knew absolutely nothing about an offer to Mallett or any other coach to take over from Plum”.

“I haven’t spoken to Nick Mallett for four or five years and certainly nothing was said at the last Sharks board meeting in April about Plum’s position.”

Van Zyl is to retire at the end of the year and he is to be replaced by John Smit. The former Springbok captain will join Van Zyl on July 1 and will spend the next six months learning the ropes before taking over.

Van Zyl said that as far as he was aware the board had decided to offer John Plumtree a two-year extension on his contract.

“But this will be negotiated by John Smit,” said Van Zyl.

Van Zyl said he was looking forward to retirement at the end of the year.

“I will be mentoring John [Smit] for the next few months and I’m happy about that.”

MacKenzie said he was astonished to read yesterday that Mallett had turned down a Sharks offer.

“I don’t know where that comes from. Certainly there was no board decision to approach him.”

MacKenzie said that possibly someone had informally sounded out Mallett to see if he would be available to coach the Sharks at some stage in the future.

“I don’t know if that happened, but ultimately it is going to be John Smit who makes the operational decisions and not only about the coaching post.

“He has to build his own team for the future,” said MacKenzie.

Stephen Saad, chairperson of the Sharks board, could not be reached yesterday, but suggested — through his secretary — that The Witness should contact John Smit for comment.

Smit returned to Durban from London on Saturday, but attempts to reach him yesterday were unsuccessful.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.