Shelembe eyeing top post in ANC

2011-11-09 00:00

FORMER Msunduzi Municipality deputy mayor Alpha Shelembe, who earlier this week had charge of arson against him withdrawn, has ambitions to occupy the top ANC post in the region.

Shelembe was accused of masterminding the torching of the ANC offices in Jabu Ndlovu Street while it was occupied by protesters.

The charge was withdrawn on Monday.

This devlopment comes after, Themba Mbona, a driver who is serving a jail sentence for setting fire to the offices on June 12, retracted his allegation that Shelembe had masterminded the arson.

Shelembe faces charges of money laundering, fraud and corruption relating to the sale of a building for the uMgungundlovu District Municipality at an inflated price in 2003.

Sources who spoke to The Witness on condition of anonymity said that Shelembe has been tipped for the position of chairperson in the ANC’s executive committee (REC) in the Moses Mabhida region.

The sources say most of the region’s 84 branches have indicated they will nominate him for the chair.

Shelembe, who stepped down as deputy mayor and from his treasury position in the REC in June when he was charged with arson, has reportedly been soliciting votes from the branches.

The elections for the REC are expected to take place before February next year.

Shelembe told The Witness he has consulted the provincial leadership of the ANC about his political future following the withdrawal of the charge.

He said he is waiting to be summoned to a meeting.

He said he does not want to discuss ANC matters in the media.

Shelembe said the arson charge was a smear campaign by some leaders of the ANC and of the tripartite alliance in the city who were using state resources.

ANC provincial secretary Sihle Zikalala said the meeting with Shelembe would not be about him seeking to be redeployed, but to fill the leadership in on the latest developments.

He said Shelembe resigned because he does not want the party’s name tainted.

He added that the ANC does not discuss its internal matters in the media.

Nhlanhla Mtaka, director of Ingabadi, a political consultancy, said the ball is now in the ANC’s court to deploy Shelembe if it believes that his name has been cleared.

But this would not address the ongoing internal struggles, Mtaka said, and it would not halt conspiracy theories within the party in the region.

“The poison was there before Shelembe [was implicated],” said Mtaka and it was there during and after the court case.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.