Sleeping boy killed in fire

2012-08-01 00:00

THE family of a one-year-old boy who died in a fire at Imbali on Saturday night say they blame Eskom for the child’s death after a faulty meter box in their home exploded.

Vuyolwethu Khanyile’s grandmother, Albertina Khanyile, is fighting for her life in Edendale hospital after trying to save him.

The toddler was described as a happy child who laughed a lot.

His aunt, Buyi Khanyile, told The Witness that they were in another room when they heard an explosion.

She said her mother had fed Vuyolwethu and left him in the bedroom to fall asleep.

“As she was walking to the room where we were sitting, we heard a big explosion and we all ran to the bedroom. The bed was on fire. My mother tried to save the child but she could not. She also got burnt,” said Khanyile.

Neighbours responded to their cries for help and tried to save the child, some using wet blankets to try to get through the flames, but they couldn’t find the child in the smoke and flames.

The grandmother was admitted to Edendale Hospital with burns to her face and arms.

Khethukuthula Njokwe, Vuyolwethu’s uncle, said they had reported to Eskom six months ago that the electricity box was faulty.

“Eskom knew about the problem with the electricity box, but had not responded to repair it. Now we have lost our son and the house, because they did not take this problem seriously.”

The family told The Witness that the reference number they were given when they originally complained to Eskom was lost in the blaze. They said the meter box would trip if more than one appliance was used at a time. At the time it exploded, no appliances were in use.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Joey Jeevan said investigators could not rule out the possibility that the fire had been been caused by a faulty electricity meter box.

Eskom’s regional communications manager, Joyce Zingoni, said they could not comment before investigating the incident.

This incident comes four months after Mbongeni “Khehli” Hlengwa was electrocuted after slipping and grabbing an electricity pole outside his home, also in Imbali.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Play with your pet when you're not at home

Many pets are alone at home during the week while their owners are at work. So what do these animals get up to while they’re home alone?

 
 

Paws

How to get rid of fleas
12 Cool cat facts
Chocolate can be fatal for dogs
Spider-man star's adorable relationship with his dog
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.