Strike: Education staff defiant

2009-04-28 00:00

THE strike action by office-based employees of the KwaZulu-Natal Education Department is far from over.

This was confirmed by the SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) yesterday, despite a labour court ruling on Friday restraining Sadtu and its members from engaging in or continuing with what has been termed an unprotected strike.

On Friday, Education superintendent-general, Cassius Lubisi, said the strike action was illegal in terms of Section 64 of the Labour Relations Act. He said failure by employees to report to work would be tantamount to a breach of conditions and terms of employment.

According to Lubisi, the urgent court order instructs Sadtu to inform its members of the ruling and also interdicts and restrains the striking workers from impeding access within the department premises.

Speaking to The Witness yesterday morning, however, Sadtu spokesman K.K. Nkosi said the union had not received any notice of Friday’s court order.

Nonetheless, he said the union was strongly opposed to this and would be prepared to challenge it in court since proper channels were followed in connection with the staging of the strike.

He said the department had been given notices of the strike for the Pietermaritzburg-based staff, which was later followed by a notice for other districts and schools.

“The Department of Education is always complaining about not having money, but they have money to waste on unnecessary expenses when they should be paying [the department employed] clerks their money,” stated Nkosi.

He said the Durban and Pietermaritzburg service centres continued striking yesterday and added that the strike is likely to bring services to a standstill as things would be more intense today with Port Shepstone, Kokstad, the Umlazi and Ilembe districts joining the strike.

“We are still mobilising teachers, but all the clerks and cleaning staff in schools will join in tomorrow because they are owed money by the department.”

However, department spokeswoman Mbali Thusi said services are still being rendered in their service centres.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.