Talbot Trail Run: athletes rewarded with breathtaking views

2011-06-29 00:00

THE Talbot Trail Run Series hosted its second race in the winter series on top of Pietermaritzburg’s Table Mountain on Saturday.

Nearly 250 people braved the cold and the steep, one-kilometer climb to the top of Table Mountain, and were rewarded with brilliant views of Pietermaritzburg, the Msunduzi Valley and the Umgeni Valley.

The event is organised twice every year — during winter and summer — but such crisp conditions are unlikely every time around.

The Mcoseleli Secondary School was the start and finish venue.

While the back walkers took advantage of most of the views, the runners up front had little time to stop and enjoy the view as the challenging course that circumnavigates the top of ­Table Mountain kept them on their toes. Several runners taking minor falls.

Cattle paths were followed for about 75% of the run, but the other 25% required runners and walkers to navigate through the open veld.

Lance Chapman was the first man home, taking one hour and 38 seconds to complete the 12 km course.

Sarah Grey was the first woman home, five minutes behind and in seventh place overall.

In the seven-kilometer race, Paul Gcaba made it two in a row after winning the first event in the series at Cumberland Nature Reserve, while Kirsty Glass was the first woman home and second overall, just three minutes behind Gcaba.

The final event of the Talbot Trail Run Series takes place on July 9 on Faulklands Farm, just outside Pietermaritzburg on the Table Mountain Road.

This time the course will take the runners and walkers down to the Umgeni River.

For more information visit www.kzntrailrunning.co.za.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.