Teen boys behind beach ‘fondling’

2010-12-31 00:00

ETHEKWINI municipality has corrected information they released on Wednesday about sexual predators at the paddling pools.

They said the incident in which eight people were arrested took place on Monday afternoon and involved eight youths aged between 14 and 16. They attempted to “inappropriately fondle” two females aged between 15 and 16 in the bathing area at the Wedge Beach.

The boys were charged with sexual harassment and not child molestation as previously stated by Ethekwini.

“It is alleged that the eight suspects had surrounded the girls in the surf and were singing and chanting loudly to divert attention from what they were up to.”

The girls managed to get out of the water and approached the security guards at the beach and pointed out the suspects.

Ethekwini’s deputy head of parks, leisure and cemeteries, Christo Swart, said Parks, Recreation and Culture law enforcement officers were called to the scene to assist with the apprehension and transportation of the eight suspects to the Point Police Station.

The suspects were detained and charged with sexual harassment.

“Security measures at the beachfront have been strengthened to ensure that an incident of this nature does not re-occur.”

Swart added the attendance figures on the beaches stood at over 280 000 from December 24 to 27 and not at 36 000 as previously stated.

Metro Police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Eugene Msomi said people who bring alcohol to the beach will be arrested and alcohol will be confiscated.

Msomi warned that certain roads will be closed using the new jersey barriers for long-term closures and booms for short-term closures. These will be removed from the second week of January.

OR Tambo (Snell) Parade, Sylvester Ntuli (Brickhill) Street and Monty Naicker (Pine) Road will be controlled by boom gates and they are tow away zones except to those with parking permits. Sandile Thusi, Bell and Mahatma Gandhi streets will be closed. The bus and minibus holding area is located at the Durban Drive Inn site. Swart said no one may bring fireworks to the beach without a licence, permit or authorisation. — Witness Reporter.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.