‘The Witness’ contractor’s son murdered

2013-06-13 00:00

A SON of The Witness distributor James Mshibe, who was abducted last week, was found murdered at the weekend.

Snethemba Mshibe (25) had been missing since Tuesday last week. His body was discovered by the police on Saturday. He had been severely beaten, and his body dumped in Sobantu Township.

Snethemba had worked for his father James, a distribution contractor for The Witness.

His family only discovered his body at a government mortuary on Monday.

James Mshibe said he had received reports from locals that his son was abducted by two men at the old taxi rank in the city centre, and taken to the Sobantu area where he was allegedly beaten. The motive for the killing is unknown.

This is the third Witness contracted worker to die violently in the past seven months.

Contractor Segaran Naidoo (49) was shot during a robbery in the CBD in December last year, while the third, Mthobisi Mkhize (22), was killed in Imbali Township in April this year. He had been trying to mediate in a fight at the time.

Mshibe said he was at home in Fairmead on Tuesday last week, when he was told that there were people outside and that his son Snethemba wanted to see him at the gate. However, his daughter went instead.

“The car just drove off. My daughter told me that she heard Snethemba crying in the car. We tried to follow the car, but lost it because we had not seen its make or the registration number.”

“We reported the matter to the police. Another young man came and told me that he had seen my son being picked up by men and getting into a vehicle. We found those men and they claimed that they had dropped him off near a garage (in the city),” said Mshibe.

He said police have established that his son was actually taken to Sobantu, where he was beaten by a mob and killed, and his body dumped.

“Since he went missing, we could not sleep or eat … I have not only lost a son, I have lost a business partner and this is unbearable for me,” said the grieving father.

Provincial police spokesperson Captain Thulani Zwane said four men have been arrested and charged with murder and abduction in connection with the incident. They are to appear in court shortly.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.