Tight court security for alleged cable thieves

2013-02-25 00:00

NINETEEN alleged members of a cable theft syndicate appeared in the regional court on Friday amidst tight security.

No members of the public were granted access to the courtroom for the accuseds’ appearance. Hawks prosecutor, Annelize Harrison, said their cases would be joined under the umbrella of a single indictment.

The Witness was told that the high security at court was made necessary due to the fact that some of the accused faced additional charges of escaping from custody on previous occasions.

All the accused were being held in custody awaiting trial after either failing in or abandoning their bail applications.

They have allegedly been linked to syndicates that target electrical and railway networks nationwide, costing the economy millions of rands in damage.

During a recent bail application held in Pietermaritzburg, investigator, Nico Smith of Combined Private Investigations told the court that KZN had experienced an increase in cable theft since June last year.

Following an Eskom power failure in Hilton on July 18 last year four accused in that case — who were linked to the syndicate — were arrested following a high speed car chase.

At the scene where high voltage Eskom conductor cables were cut, investigators had found rolls of cables and recovered a hacksaw and bolt cutters.

Smith testified that although the cable (worth R720 000) was recovered, it could not be used again and had to be replaced.

The Witness reported recently that thieves had almost caused the collapse of the main power feed from Eskom to Msunduzi by removing bolts and steel cross-bars at the base of an electrical pylon at Camps Drift. The pylon was in danger of toppling over which would have resulted in a power blackout lasting days or weeks.

Residents were warned to expect planned night-time power outages over the past weekend, while urgent repairs were conducted at an estimated cost of R1 million.

The case against the alleged cable thieves was postponed to April 25 pending further investigations.

• ingrido@witness.co.za

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.