Tripoli: Mystery SA ‘force’ may have planned to support Gaddafi Dodgy arms link with Libya

2011-09-07 00:00

DOCUMENTS discovered on a Tripoli street corner provide tantalising clues that South Africans may be in the thick of the civil war still raging in Libya.

The documents, written mainly in Arabic, include an invoice from what appears to be a South African security company for “specialist training” in the country during the height of the conflict.

Another suggests that plans for a 136-strong South African-led “rapid intervention force” were drawn up and that arms shipments from Chinese companies, via South Africa, were contemplated.

The activities would all have violated a United Nations arms embargo imposed on the country in February this year.

Graeme Smith, a foreign correspondent for Canada’s Globe and Mail newspaper, found the papers “blowing in the wind” on a street corner in the wealthy Tripoli suburb of Bab Akkarah where many of Muammar Gaddafi’s ruling elite and some of his sons lived.

Smith said, “The documents were sitting on the side of the curb where someone had abandoned them. It would seem they were dumped in a hurry.”

He said former Gaddafi loyalists, who form part of the country’s transitional authority, identified military officials named in the documents and confirmed the authenticity of the green-eagle letterhead.

One of the documents, which Smith shared exclusively with The Witness, is an invoice from a company calling itself Alfa Security Services and bearing a Pretoria postal address.

There is no record of such a company being registered in South Africa and it is possible that this is a false name.

Dated 29 June this year, the document sets out details of a 12-month contract by “six training team specialists” and two “support team specialists” at a cost of $5,4-million (R37,95 million).

The Witness has established that the PO box listed on the document is the registered postal address of South Africa National Parks (Sanparks) in Pretoria.

Sanparks spokesperson Wanda Mkutshulwa described the document as “worrying”.

She said, “This will require a full investigation. Nobody should be sharing a PO box with Sanparks.

“Sanparks is not linked to any such company and we are not aware of its existence, however, we will find out if there are any links to possibly an individual.”

Another document, in both Arabic and English, is a schematic for a “rapid intervention force” staffed by 73 South Africans and 63 Libyans under the group command of a South African.

It lists the material that the teams would use, which included 127 AK-47 assault rifles, 12 PKM machine guns, a dozen RPG-7 rocket launchers, 12 sniper rifles, 60 mm mortars, pistols and medical bags.

The teams would be assigned 35 Toyota Land Cruisers and two eight-ton military trucks.

A Libyan cameraman would accompany the group with an interpreter, said the document.

Smith also found a six-page document in Arabic on the letterhead of the Libyan armed forces “Technical Affairs” division.

Dated July 31 this year, the memo provides details of secret talks conducted in China by Libyan military officials who visited weapons manufacturing companies in a bid to procure at least $200 million in weapons, ammunition, rocket launchers, anti-tank missiles and portable surface-to-air missiles.

The Chinese companies suggested “they make the contracts with either Algeria or South Africa, because these countries previously worked with China”, the memo said.

“Export via a third party may take place … through Algeria or South Africa,” it said.

The companies agreed to continue “discussions, negotiations, and signing of contracts” in Algeria.

Signed by a retired Libyan colonel, Ahmed Mohammed Ubaidah, the memo recommends “that we seize this opportuntiy to get what we need in order to defend our country, revolution, and remove all the criminal gangs and rebels.”

--

Arms watchdog: No transit permits for guns to Libya

Julian Rademeyer

SOUTH Africa’s National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC) said no transit permits were issued for arms shipments to Libya.

Documents discovered in Tripoli show that Chinese arms manufacturers considered routing large consignments of arms through South Africa to Muammar Gaddafi’s embattled regime in Tripoli as Libya’s civil war raged.

The documents also point to the involvement of South African security contractors in the country and plans for a South African-led “rapid intervention force”.

The Chinese foreign ministry has since claimed that no shipments took place.

NCACC spokesperson Tlali Tlali said yesterday that no permits had been issued for arms shipments from China, via South Africa, to Libya.

In June, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe, the chair of the NCACC, said that 10 conveyance permits were issued in 2010 and a further two between January and March this year.

But he said there was “no legislative requirement to report on conveyance permits” and information about such permits was therefore not contained in the NCACC’s annual reports.

Yesterday Tlali disclosed that the two permits issued between January and March involved shipments originating in the UK and destined for Lesotho.

Tlali said a further five transit permits were issued after March this year for shipments destined for Botswana (two permits), Kenya, the Philippines and Taiwan.

He said the NCACC is not aware of the existence of a “rapid intervention force” or the involvement of a South African security company in Libya.

Democratic Alliance defence spokesperson David Maynier said yesterday that the documents found in Tripoli raise “very serious questions about the conventional arms control regime in South Africa”.

“The political skeletons are bound to begin falling out of the cupboard after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in Libya.

“It is a major concern that the Chinese offered to export conventional weapons to Gaddafi’s regime via South Africa,” Maynier said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.