Truth must out, says Bok coach

2008-09-07 00:00

Johannesburg — The Peter de Villiers camp insists that the truth must come out after the national rugby coach’s name was linked to a sex video and blackmail at the weekend.

Rian Oberholzer, De Villiers’s agent and a former CEO of SA Rugby, said yesterday they insist that an employee of the SA Rugby Union (Saru) be called to appear before a disciplinary hearing so the truth can be discovered. “Peter denies that there is any truth in the allegations and denies having been involved in anything like that. He has nothing to hide. It is sad that something like this should have happened to him. He has his faults, but what he is being accused of, is not part of those,” Oberholzer said.

It was reported at the weekend that a video allegedly exists that shows De Villiers having sex with a young woman.

The video was apparently used to blackmail the Bok coach to get him to select a certain Springbok

Shortly after the allegations appeared in Johannesburg paper the Weekender, Saru issued a statement, part of which read: “Peter de Villiers and Saru categorically deny there have been any attempts to blackmail or coerce him over the selection of any player to the national squad.

“Saru can confirm that a company employee did approach De Villiers on August 15 in Cape Town.

The employee made certain extraordinary claims, which Saru looked into, but [which it] has been unable to find any basis to support in fact.

“The employee was advised on August 25 that he would be called to an internal misconduct hearing, the charge sheet for which is still being prepared.”

The employee referred to is Chris Hewitt, one of Saru’s media spokesmen and a shortlived former communications manager of the Springbok team.

Oberholzer said yesterday he will insist that Hewitt appears before a disciplinary hearing.

A website reported this weekend that Hewitt was summoned to appear before a disciplinary committee last week and given the choice of either resigning last Monday or being dismissed.

According to the report, he refused to resign unless he is paid R2 million for his four-year contract with Saru.

SABC reported last night that De Villiers is considering legal action.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.