Violation of graves at Qunu

2013-07-10 00:00

AS former president Nelson Mandela remained “in a critical but stable condition”, the office of the director of public prosecution in the Mthatha division yesterday afternoon received a docket from the police on the alleged violation of graves by his grandson, Mandla.

“We got the docket five minutes ago. We are to look at it and make a decision on it in the course of the week,” Eastern Cape National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Luxolo Tyali said just before 4 pm.

Tyali said a charge of violation of a grave has been opened against Mandla.

However, he said: “We can’t share the contents of the docket.”

Eastern Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Mzukisi Fatyela earlier said that police had been waiting to take a statement from the last witness. This had been done and the docket was handed to the office of the public prosecutor.

Mandla’s spokesperson Freddy Pilusa said the chief of Mvezo would deal with the matter when it was brought to court.

“There is nothing he can do now but just wait. He will deal with it when it comes through,” Pilusa said.

The criminal charge was opened on Tuesday last week by his family at the Bityi police station, outside Mthatha.

Last Wednesday the Mthatha high court made a ruling that Mandla return the remains of three children of the ailing Mandela — Magkatho, Thembekile and Makaziwe — that were exhumed in Qunu and reburied at Mvezo in 2011.

The remains were exhumed in Mvezo soon after the court order was granted and then kept at a funeral parlour in Mthatha.

DNA tests were conducted on Thursday at a government mortuary in the Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital before reburial at Qunu.

Meanwhile, the legal representatives of Mandla are still to lodge a complaint with the Eastern Cape Bar Council and Cape Law Society against the Mandela family legal representatives, lawyer Wesley Hayes and advocate David Smith.

This applies to opening a case of perjury after reports that the family and legal representatives had misled the Mthatha high court when they sought an interdict against Mandla, claiming that Mandela was in a vegetative state.

“That will still happen. I can’t say when,” Pilusa said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.