When will electricity be fixed?

2009-05-06 00:00

RESIDENTS in and around the Hilton area suffered further power outages on Tuesday when a secondary transformer at the Crossways sub-station burnt out once again.

Hilton resident Liz Cundall says she was just about to start preparing supper at 6 pm when the lights went off.

“This has got to be sorted out. My power eventually came on at 2 am yesterday and people who live in Sweetwaters whose electricity was cut off at the same time as mine got their power back at 10 pm on Tuesday. Obviously the municipality is not concerned about people because my electricity has been cut four times in four days,” she said.

Cundall says that when her electricity was eventually restored, she discovered that there was not enough power to operate her fridge.

“I had to unplug my other appliances just so my fridge would work,”she said.

Cundall says she is fed up with the municipality’s unreliable power supply and is considering whether to buy a generator.

“I’ve resisted for the longest time, but I’m beginning to change my mind. We’re supposed to be getting a direct supply, but when it starts becoming erratic it makes you wonder what’s going to happen during 2010.

“I know people who own B&Bs and they’ve had to fork out large sums for generators because they can’t depend on the electricity supply,” she said.

Msunduzi Municipality strategic executive manager for infrastructure, services and facilities Phil Mashoko said the secondary transformer that burnt out at the Crossways sub-station was fixed the same night.

“At the same time, one of the 11kV lines in Hilton faulted, which affected a small portion of Hilton, Sweetwaters and Phayiphini,” he said.

Mashoko assured The Witness that the power supply to the Hilton area is reliable as the two problematic 33kV lines have been serviced and upgraded. “For the Pine Street sub-station, we are still operating with one transformer and will be until the last week of June. That is when we will have two new transformers installed and working. But we have installed three new 11kV cables as a back-up,” he said.

Mashoko says the first Pine Street sub-station transformer will arrive by May 22, while the second is expected by May 29. Until then, residents should not be affected as back-up plans have been put in place.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.