Woman risks life to pull kids from flames

2008-07-02 00:00

A Pelham woman sobbed with relief yesterday after she pulled four children aged between two and eight years old out of a burning room to safety at Oribi Village. She also assisted a 93-year-old bedridden relative of theirs out of the smoke-filled home.

Miranda Olivier (39), who discovered a fire in the storeroom of the children’s home, said her first thought was for their safety.

The drama began when Olivier was visiting a friend at Oribi Village.

“I noticed smoke coming from one of the units. I knew that the children were there with an old man, Johannes Ngubane, so I rushed over. The flames were high in the air and I shouted for people to help.”

But Olivier said that no one came to her aid immediately. “I pulled the little ones out, but they kept running back into the house.”

Olivier wept as she recalled her desperate efforts to get the children to safety and the terror she felt at the time.

Eventually others in the complex came to her aid and helped her get the children and the elderly man to safety. Emergency services were also summoned. Paramedics gave the man oxygen after his blood pressure went up as a result of shock and inhaling smoke.

He was stabilised and then taken into the home of resident Marietta Roussow, who said she would care for him until his family arrived home from work.

“If I hadn’t noticed the smoke, they may all have been killed,” Olivier said as tears ran down her cheeks.

The children stood around bewildered, watching the fire engines that had rushed to the scene to extinguish the blaze.

“I love them. I give them presents at Christmas and give them fruit during the day when I visit here,” said Olivier.

The children’s grandmother, Gloria Qoo (44), was at work at the time of the incident. After being informed about it, she rushed back home and was relieved to find the children unhurt.

She said the fire was started by a candle left burning by her ex-husband, who lives in an outside building that has no electricity.

“I once warned him about leaving the candle burning, but he does not seem to have listened to me,” said Qoo. The fire did not do much damage, other than destroying all her ex-husband’s clothes, she said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.