ANC region denies nomination chaos

By Drum Digital
10 October 2012

The Buffalo City ANC region in the Eastern Cape has denied reports that its regional general council (RGC) meeting descended into chaos at the weekend when it backed President Jacob Zuma for a second term.

"This was a normal meeting, and in normal meetings people express different views," regional chair Zukisa Faku said on Wednesday.

"The meeting was not chaotic, it was a public meeting that was open to all people. It was convened in order to share information about the nomination process."

She told Sapa the report was built around sources who "lied for their own political agendas".

The Dispatch Online reported on Wednesday that several RGC members questioned the regional leadership on Sunday over why it announced its preferences at a press conference, instead of waiting for branch general meetings to convene.

An unnamed source told the paper the RGC wanted to know why the regional leadership was rushing to announce its list of candidates for the African National Congress's elective conference in Mangaung in December.

"Why is the REC misleading the public by making statements without having consulted branches?," the unnamed RGC member said.

"The ANC's leadership issue is going to be decided by the branches."

The newspaper reported that delegates were adamant the REC's actions had been "mischievous".

"The meeting was adjourned unceremoniously, in the true sense of the word. Where on earth does a chairman close a meeting when people's hands are still raised?" another unnamed source said.

Find Love!

Men
Women