Arrested SABC staff released in DRC: report

By Drum Digital
06 May 2013

Two SABC crew members who were arrested while trying to broadcast a soccer match in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been released and hope to return to South Africa on Monday, it was reported.

Two technical crew members were kicked out of the TP Mazembe Stadium, in Lubumbashi, minutes before the start of the CAF Champions League clash between Orlando Pirates and TP Mazembe on Sunday afternoon, the SABC reported. A radio reporter's cellphone simcard was confiscated.

The crew members were arrested, but were later released and were escorted to their hotel. According to the national broadcaster, they hoped to leave on Monday.

The matter had been taken up with the consul general in Lubumbashi, who would assist the SABC crew, international relations and co-operation spokesman Clayson Monyela was quoted as telling the SABC.

Even though Pirates lost 1-0 to TP Mazembe in the DRC, they went into the clash with a 3-1 lead from the first leg at Orlando Stadium two weeks ago, and have made it through to the group stages of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Champions League.

The SABC broadcast the first leg of the match. It was reportedly agreed that it would also broadcast the DRC match, but this did not happen.

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the issue would be discussed with the relevant authorities.

Orlando Pirates chairman Irvin Khoza voiced disappointment about what had happened, and told the SABC he would raise the issue in two weeks' time at a CAF meeting.

-Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women