AWB member confesses to farm killings

By Drum Digital
31 October 2013

A female member of the AWB confessed to killing a farmer in order to incite racial hatred and instil a sense of fear among farmers.

The National Prosecuting Authority says it is aware of claims by Cornelia de Wet, a member of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging that an AWB "hit squad" carried out the murders of three members of a Griekwastad family on their Northern Cape farm last year.

The Diamond Fields Advertiser reported on Thursday that de Wet, 37, implicated the owner of a local security company as being the mastermind of the farm attack, saying it was carried out in order to incite racial hatred and instil a sense of fear among local farmers, which would force farmers to make use of his security services.

Deon Steenkamp, 44, his wife Christel, 43, and their 14-year-old daughter Marthella were killed on their farm Naauwhoek on 6 April 2012. Their son survived the attack.

Sapa reported that the trial of a 17-year-old boy accused of murdering the family will resume in the Northern Cape High Court in Kimberley on 4 November. According to the Diamond Fields Advertiser, the teenager's legal team met with De Wet, who is currently in custody in Kimberley. She named three men who were involved in the attack on the Steenkamp family, and claimed an amount of R100 000 was paid for the "hit". She also explained what transpired on the farm on the morning of the murders, including how the daughter was rapedand the parents were shot.

She claimed that Deon Steenkamp's last words were "God forgive them".

De Wet said she had been a member of the AWB since the age of 15, and was arrested on charges relating to high treason, terrorism, and the possession of ammunition and explosives.

She told the newspaper that she decided to come clean because the truth was haunting her, and she knew the accused was not guilty of the murders.

Griekwastad and Kimberley police officials declined to comment when approached by News24.

NPA spokesperson Mashudu Malabisaid: "The trial against the accused, who is a minor, will still proceed.

We expect the trial to continue throughout the month of November unless another decision is made."

- News24

Find Love!

Men
Women