Border posts calm following xenophobic violence

By Drum Digital
20 April 2015

Johannesburg - The situation at the Lebombo and Ressano Garcia Border Post remains calm following temporary closure over xenophobic unrest on Friday.

On Monday, Maputo Logistics Corridor Initiative (MCLI) Barbara Mommen said the situation returned to normal later in the afternoon and to date no further reports of any protest action or delays at the border post have been reported.

"After reports that the border post between South Africa and Mozambique had been temporarily closed last week Friday, as South African citizens were prevented entry in Mozambique due to violent protest action, after angry Mozambique citizens barricaded the EN4 approximately 4km after the Ressano Garcia border post. The situation is back to normal," said Mommen.

Mommen said the protest action was purportedly in retaliation to the spate of recent xenophobic attacks which have plagued certain areas in South Africa over the past week.

She said role players will be informed of any issues at the Lebombo Border Post which may impact on traffic flow. She added that the border gates will be open 24 hours a day from April 24 to April 27 ahead of the Freedom Day long weekend.

On Friday, truck driver John Mashiloane, who works for Ngululu Bulk Carriers, told African Eye News Service that he was forced to return to South Africa after the truck he was driving was stoned a short distance from the border town of Ressano Garcia.

On Monday, Ngululu’s operational manager Jay Luvhani told AENS that business had returned to normal.

"The situation is back to normal. Work is going very well and we have not received any threats. As we speak, our employees are in Mozambique doing their work," said Luvhani.

Source: African Eye

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Border-posts-calm-following-xenophobic-violence-20150420

Find Love!

Men
Women