Boy dies in freak fondue accident

By Drum Digital
20 January 2015

The seven-year-old boy who suffered serious burns after firelighter gel for a fondue exploded, has died from his injuries.

The seven-year-old boy who suffered serious burns after firelighter gel for a fondue exploded, has died from his injuries, Beeld reported on Tuesday.

Arno van Greunen had suffered 45 percent burns on his body after the gel exploded in father Schalk's hands as he lit a fondue flame. The boy had been walking past his father at the time.

His mother Bernadine posted on Facebook: "Our Arno became a little angel this morning," according to the Afrikaans daily.

He died in hospital at 5am on Monday ahead of a planned skin transplant operation.

The Hero Burn Foundation, which had been supporting the family, said his organs had collapsed.

Spokeswoman Elsabé Coetzer said people with burn injuries lost a lot of water, forcing their organs to work harder.

He had been a pupil at Voorwaarts Primary School in Meyerton.

"It is extremely painful and a huge blow for us," his principal Rudi Steenkamp said.

Neither of the boy's parents were available for comment to Beeld.

SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women