Brickz wants to be released on bail again ahead of sentencing

By Drum Digital
20 July 2017

His R50 000 bail was revoked shortly after the conviction.

Jeanette Chabalala, News24

Johannesburg – Convicted rapist Sipho Ndlovu, better known by his kwaito name Brickz, wants to be released on bail pending his sentencing, it emerged on Thursday.

Brickz appeared briefly in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court before a packed public court gallery. His family, including his wife, were among those in attendance.

Dressed in a maroon jersey and black jeans, the 'Sweety my baby' singer appeared calm during proceedings.

His new attorney, advocate Piet du Plessis said he was approached by Brickz's family on Monday to handle sentencing proceedings.

He told the court that the defence case had not been transcribed as yet.

"I want to study the documents before I proceed with the sentence," he said.

He also said he wanted to present evidence of mitigation and also evidence from a social worker.

He asked for a postponement for a formal bail application pending sentencing.

However, an unimpressed magistrate John Baloyi expressed disappointment at the delays.

"It's been three years going [on] to four years now," he said arguing that the case had been dragging.

The matter was postponed to August 1.

Brickz was recently found guilty of raping a 16-year-old relative in November 2013.

Brickz had started getting back into making music in 2015. In the same year, he was arrested and charged with assault after he allegedly threatened to kill his lover.

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women