Brickz's rape case postponed

By Drum Digital
06 November 2014

Kwaito musician Sipho Charles Ndlovu, also known as "Brickz", accused of raping a 17-year-old girl, appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

Magistrate John Baloyi postponed the case to November 25 to allow the court time to obtain the services of an intermediary.

Dressed in a blue jersey and black jeans, the dreadlocked musician appeared in the dock just after 2pm.

He sat in the public gallery and spoke to a group of women believed to be family members before proceedings started.

The matter was delayed as the State only furnished the defence with the particulars it had asked for during Ndlovu's previous appearance in October, on Wednesday afternoon.

"We are still not happy with the information we received because we only got one document, which was unusual," Ndlovu's lawyer Dumisani Mabunda told the court.

"The State never ceases to amaze us."

He said Ndlovu continued to face prejudice, which he had emphasised in court on several previous occasions.

"I want to place on record that we request no further inconvenience from the State as the accused already faces prejudices by this court."

The 32-year-old musician is accused of raping the girl at his home in Honeydew, Johannesburg, in March last year. The rape was reported seven months later.

After an unsuccessful bail application in the magistrate's court, Ndlovu's lawyers went to the high court where they secured him bail of R50,000 in December.

During bail proceedings, Ndlovu's lawyer at the time indicated he intended pleading not guilty.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women