Case of alleged rape against MP postponed

By Drum Digital
30 April 2012

A case of alleged rape against ANC MP Sikhumbuzo Eric Kholwane was postponed by the Wynberg Magistrate's Court on Monday.

State prosecutor Shaina Naidoo asked for the postponement so the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) could sign an order to prosecute him. She said the regional court had decided to institute proceedings, but needed a decision from the DPP.

Defence lawyer William Booth objected to the request.

"Surely the decision to prosecute or not should have been made some time ago," he said.

He asked for the matter to be struck off the roll until a prosecution decision had been made.

Magistrate Marietjie van Eeden noted the case had not been on the roll for long. She said a postponement would not prejudice Kholwane as he was out on R500 bail and could move about freely within the conditions.

She granted a final postponement for July 30.

Kholwane, who is chairman of Parliament's communications portfolio committee, stands accused of raping a 26-year-old woman in his Grassy Park home in Cape Town

Find Love!

Men
Women