Cosatu retracts protest invitation to DA

By Drum Digital
07 March 2012

Cosatu has retracted an invitation to the Democratic Alliance to join its protest against the e-tolling system and labour brokers, party leader Helen Zille said on Tuesday.

Zille said despite supporting Cosatu on its stance on doing away with proposed e-tolling, it could not lend its support to the banning of labour brokers.

"Intense internal wrangling in the Congress of SA Trade Unions overnight resulted in the invitation being withdrawn this morning."

The party also opposed the disruption the protest would have on schooling.

Zille said Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi had been approached when concerns were raised. However, he did not return the call as promised.

"Instead, this morning, I received an sms from Mr Vavi which noted that Cosatu did not want to 'get the opposition political parties joining the march'," Zille said.

"Despite our strong opposition to e-tolling, the DA will not force its way into Cosatu's march. We have a long track record of staging our own, appropriate protests without disrupting education," she said.

Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said the union federation had never invited the DA to join the strike. He confirmed Vavi had sent Zille an sms.

"DA members are welcome. Cosatu has always had members who were members of different political parties, but we never invited any party leaders," Craven said.

Find Love!

Men
Women