Court to rule on Pistorius trial broadcast

By Drum Digital
25 February 2014

The North Gauteng High Court will make a ruling on Tuesday on an application by media houses to broadcast the murder trial of paralympian Oscar Pistorius.

The application to film the proceedings was brought by MultiChoice, joined by media houses, eNCA and Eyewitness News.

Last week Frank Snyckers SC, for MultiChoice and Eyewitness News, told the court that media would use technologically advanced equipment that was not obtrusive and was controlled remotely. Snyckers said media houses had secured the National Prosecuting Authority's support.

Pistorius's legal team opposed the application arguing that broadcasting the events would lead to an unfair trial.

Barry Roux SC, for Pistorius, asked why his client's trial was not being treated like any other trial.

Pistorius is accused of killing Steenkamp, his girlfriend, in February last year. His trial is to be heard in the North Gauteng High Court from 3 to 20 March.

A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the trial will be launched on DSTV on 2 March.

News24 will be doing live updates of the judgment on Tuesday. Follow us for all the latest details.

RELATED LINKS

- SAPA

Picture: SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women