Dewani case postponed

By Drum Digital
08 April 2014

The case against honeymoon murder-accused Shrien Dewani postponed in the Western Cape High Court.

The case against honeymoon murder-accused Shrien Dewani was postponed in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday. "The State and defence have agreed that the matter will be postponed until 12 May and that the accused be remanded in custody," provincial director of public prosecutions Rodney de Kok told the court. The State and defence had agreed that Dewani needed further care and treatment.

"We agreed then that Mr Dewani will be transferred in custody to the Valkenberg Hospital."

Francois van Zyl SC, for Dewani, said he agreed with May 12.

Judge John Hlophe said the exact terms of the order, in terms of mental health, would be drawn up.

Dewani, wearing a charcoal suit and black tie, appeared to be struggling to hear what was being said.

Hlophe confirmed the postponement date and Dewani was excused.

The British millionaire claimed he and his wife Anni were kidnapped at gunpoint as they drove through Gugulethu in Cape Town in a taxi in November 2010.

The couple had been on honeymoon in the country. He was released unharmed, but his wife's body was found in the abandoned car the next day. She had been shot dead.

Xolile Mngeni was convicted of the murder and jailed for life. Prosecutors allege Dewani hired him to kill his wife.

Two other alleged accomplices are also already serving jail terms in connection with the crime. Dewani has denied any part in the murder.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women