Diepsloot quiet after land grab

By Drum Digital
02 February 2015

The police are continuing to monitor an area in Diepsloot where an attempted land grab took place at the weekend, Gauteng police said on Monday.

"The situation is as it was yesterday [Sunday]. There haven't been any incidents and we will continuing to monitor the situation," said Warrant Officer Daniel Mavimbela.

"We still have public order policing and TRT [the tactical response team] are still assisting with the monitoring."

A group of about a hundred people tried to occupy vacant land in the area on Saturday.

Some of them barricaded Ingwenyama Road with tyres and other objects.

The police fired rubber bullets when some of the protesters threw stones at them while they were patrolling the area on foot.

On Saturday, Mavimbela said a 36-year-old man had been arrested in connection with public violence. He was expected to appear soon in the Randburg Magistrate's Court.

A four-year-old boy was injured and was receiving medical treatment.

Mavimbela said: "The boy is still receiving medical treatment. "From our side, currently we cannot confirm the cause of the reported injury," he said. It was being investigated.

SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women