Durban businessman not in jail yet

By Drum Digital
08 May 2012

Durban businessman Sifiso Zulu has not reported to Durban's Westville prison to start serving his three-year jail term for culpable homicide, correctional services said on Tuesday.

"He has not reported to us. The court is responsible for issuing a warrant of arrest for him," spokeswoman Nokuthula Zikhali said.

His appeal against his conviction and sentence was dismissed by the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Friday.

Zulu, 42, the former head of the Durban Chamber of Commerce, was convicted in April 2010.

The court found that Zulu, driving a BMW X5, jumped a red robot and crashed into a bakkie, killing two members of the Souls Harbour Church and injuring eight others in March 2008.

He was sentenced to five years in jail (two years of which was suspended), and fined R7000 for various driving offences.

National Prosecuting Authority spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson told The Witness newspaper on Tuesday that according to Zulu's bail conditions, he was required to surrender himself to the clerk of the court within 48 hours of the dismissal of his appeal to start serving his sentence.

Zulu's lawyer Lonwabo Dandala told the newspaper that the judgment had not yet been delivered to him and his client.

However, it quoted an unnamed source at the court as saying that normal procedures had been followed and that the parties were notified.

Colonel Jay Naicker said he was not aware of a warrant of arrest being issued for Zulu.

Find Love!

Men
Women