Education MEC disappointed with how school handled rape of 3 girls in Pretoria

By Drum Digital
07 July 2015

MEC steps in at school rape horror.

An alleged rape of three schoolgirls aged between 7 and 9 by older boys at Kutumela Molefi Primary School, Lethabong informal settlement, east of Pretoria has seen Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi vent his frustrations at how the situation was handled.

IOL reported on Tuesday that three girls had apparently been tied up and raped by two older schoolboys almost four weeks ago.

The matter went unreported for three weeks while parents waited for progress from the principal who had promised to include police in the investigation and bring in the intervention of social workers.

On wanting follow up, the father of one of the girls is reported to have discovered that no case had been opened.

The children are now reported to have been taken for a medical check-up where rape was confirmed. A case has been opened and an investigation has been launched.

The MEC lambasted the management of the school on how they handled the matter.

“I am deeply disappointed and hurt that this happened in our school and that action to deal with it and report it took so much time,” Lisufi is reported to have said.

The MEC is said to have announced that a forensic investigation is looking into the chronology of events and he availed services of counselors to the community.

Find Love!

Men
Women