Eskom mulling options on contractors: Report

By Drum Digital
25 March 2013

Eskom has considered sacking key contractors at its Medupi and Kusile power plants due to sub-standard work and delays, chief executive Brian Dames told Business Report.

"I can assure you we have considered [cancelling their contracts]," he was quoted as saying on Monday,

"I asked my team 18 months ago when we had issues with structural steel... that we look at other options. None of the options are being excluded."

Dames said that the parastatal was mulling all its options relating to two key contractors, Hitachi Power Africa and Alstom.

Cancellation of their contracts was a possibility that Eskom considered if they failed to expedite the work and ensure that quality standards and time frames were met.

Business Report said the two companies that were awarded the biggest contracts at Medupi had been at the centre of delays in the projects.

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women