eThekwini approves R10m aid for victims of xenophobic attacks

By Drum Digital
29 April 2015

Durban - The eThekwini Municipality announced on Wednesday that a budget of R10m had been approved to assist with relief projects for foreign nationals who were displaced during the recent xenophobic attacks.

eThekwini Municipality spokesperson Tozi Mthethwa said in a statement the budget was approved by the city’s executive committee on Tuesday.

“In addition, the provincial government will contribute R15m towards these efforts, bringing the total budget to R25m,” she said.

Mthethwa said she presented a report to the executive committee, where she informed them about the progress made in dealing with the recent xenophobic attacks.

She told the exco there were about 5 400 African immigrants living at the three temporary shelters in Phoenix, Chatsworth and Isipingo.

“To date, over 1 200 African immigrants have been successfully reintegrated into the communities they were living in previously and more than 2 000 have been repatriated."

She said a high level task team, comprising of KwaZulu-Natal government officials and eThekwini Metro officials, and led by KwaZulu-Natal Community Safety MEC Willies Mchunu, had been meeting daily to ensure that displaced African immigrants were reintegrated.

“Our intervention as government following the attacks was ending the violence and stabilising the situation in the affected areas. Attending to the humanitarian relief and providing for the basic needs of the displaced African immigrants and creating the necessary conditions for the reintegration of displaced African immigrants into their communities,” said Mthethwa.

She said the government was now going to focus on intensifying community dialogue. eThekwini Mayor James Nxumalo said the recent events dented the country's reputation.

“We need to make concerted efforts to ensure that we do not destroy the relationships we have with countries abroad, especially our African counterparts.”

The city also announced on Wednesday that it would be assisting with the funeral arrangements of the two people that were killed during the April xenophobic attacks.

“The family of Ayanda Dlamini, who was shot during an attack against foreign nationals at the Umlazi Station on April 9 2015, and the family of Thabo Mzobe, who was shot on April 13 2015 also during an attack against foreign nationals, both approached the municipality with a request for assistance with funeral expenses. Both families’ requests were approved by the Executive Committee in terms of Rule of Order 28,” said Mthethwa.

Source: News24

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/eThekwini-approves-R10m-aid-for-victims-of-xenophobic-attacks-20150429

Find Love!

Men
Women