Fencing world cup event in Dakar canceled over Ebola fears

By Drum Digital
15 October 2014

Fear of the spread of the Ebola virus has prompted the cancellation of a sabre fencing World Cup event in the Senegal capital of Dakar by the sport's world governing body FIE.

"This absolutely makes sense. We wouldn't have participated out of precautionary reasons," the German Fencing Federation DFeB's director of sports Sven Ressel tells dpa on Wednesday.

Team and individual men's fencing events were scheduled to take place on October 31 and November 1.

The World Health Organisation says the virus had been all be contained in Senegal.

Meanwhile The Guardian newspaper, is reporting that the single biggest medical force on the Ebola frontline has been a small island: Cuba.That a nation of 11 million people, with a GDP of $6,051 per capita, is leading the effort says much of the international response. A brigade of 165 Cuban health workers arrived in Sierra Leone last week,  the first batch of a total of 461. In sharp contrast, western governments have appeared more focused on stopping the epidemic at their borders than actually stemming it in West Africa. The international effort now struggling to keep ahead of the burgeoning cases might have nipped the outbreak in the bud had it come earlier, says The Guardian.

SAPA & theguardian.com

Find Love!

Men
Women