Foreign nationals cower in Durban building as looting continues

By Drum Digital
14 April 2015

Shots were fired in central Durban on Tuesday afternoon as about 150 foreign nationals hid from looters, but the army denied reports that troops were being sent in.

"I can confirm no, as stated by the police minister at the JCPS cluster media briefing on the same matter. Minister [Nathi] Nkhleko was very emphatic that there was no need for the SANDF there. The situation is being contained by other stakeholders," said SA National Defence Force spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini.

He was responding to rumours on social networking site Twitter that soldiers were being deployed in the coastal city.

One child was crying in the abandoned building, once a bottle store, in Joseph Ndluli (Russell) street, because she could not find her five-year-old sister, who was later located. One of the men in the building had to be treated after being hit on the head with a hammer, the blood soaked towel used to staunch the wound before he was treated, discarded near him.

Teargas was fired in Pixley kaSeme (West) street near a mosque as police converged on a shop where between 4 000 and 5 000 people were attempting to loot it.

Reports News24 is trying to confirm include that a Pakistani man had been shot in the leg, and the Upper Highway Facebook group said a Pakistani man had been set alight.

The shots were fired at the corner of Dr Yusuf Dadoo and Dr Pixley kaSeme streets. The block between Joseph Nduli and Dr Yusuf Dadoo streets was strewn with goods that the looters were throwing out of a shop, with police trying to throw the goods back into the shop.

Wide-scale looting erupted across Durban’s townships on Monday night as tensions, fuelled by anti-foreigner rhetoric, boiled over.

On Tuesday, it spread to the city. Several people have been killed and thousands more displaced as the violent attacks continued unabated.

Source: News24

Find Love!

Men
Women